Hyperion commits to design, construct and operate its facilities in accordance with our Stewardship Partner Philosophy. This philosophy, also referred to as our Green Charter, articulates our pledge to help meet U.S. energy needs and maximize the benefits to the communities in which we operate while simultaneously minimizing each project's environmental footprint.
I. Climate Change and Emission Controls
- We will minimize our facilities' contribution to global climate change and minimize air pollutant emissions by using the best available control technologies (BACT).
- We will adopt a fundamental refinery design that excludes the highest-emitting petroleum refining process units.
- Hyperion facilities will include integrated gasification combined cycle (IGCC) power plant technologies. IGCC represents state-of-the-art electric power generation. IGCC is inherently cleaner than any competing technology and ideally suited to using petroleum-refining by-products.
- We will go well beyond the regulatory requirements for controlling emissions of both conventional and toxic air pollutants by installing state-of-the-art air pollution controls wherever such controls are commercially feasible.
II. Water Conservation
- We will design our facilities to minimize water consumption and wastewater discharge.
- We will integrate Best Management Practices (BMPs) for water purification and wastewater treatment systems, which achieve the desired performance and efficiency goals.
- We will further intregrate the wastewater treatment systems and practices for recycle and reclamation of wastewater streams to be reused within the facility.
- The Goal will be to minimize water consumption and wastewater discharged from the facility, while ensuring the water released from the facility meets or exceeds applicable wastewater discharge requirements.
III. Recycling, Energy Efficiency, and Facility Design
- We will use refining by-products to maximize efficiencies and reduce reliance on outside sources for generating the electricity and steam needed for refinery operations.
- We will design and operate our facilities to maximize efficient use of energy resources, including a highly efficient IGCC power plant.
- We will minimize waste generation by implementing lean production techniques and maximizing re-use of by-products and waste in the production processes.
- We will implement a recycling program during construction and operation and consider recycling potential when selecting products.
- We will incorporate "green" building principles into our building designs.
IV. Environmental Stewardship
- We will design our facilities to minimize impacts to important natural resources, such as waterways and migratory flyways.
V. Local Impacts
- We will minimize increases in traffic during construction and operation by scheduling major construction deliveries during off-peak traffic hours.
- We will minimize increases in light levels beyond the property line by using low intensity lights and down-shielding.
- We will minimize increases in noise levels beyond the property line by incorporating noise reduction measures.
VI. Community Involvement
- We will work to foster open communication and cooperation with the community on potential benefits that can be realized during project development.
- We will prioritize employment of local residents and the procurement of local goods and materials during construction and operation.
- We will maximize the effectiveness of tax revenue distribution to the community by working with local economic development boards and taxation authorities.